Friday, July 22, 2011

Spiritual Strength

This morning I was filled with anxiety. It might sound silly but I have taken a long break from running and have found myself doing more interval and weight training instead. While I used to run almost daily, the length of time away from running has grown long. Today I decided I needed to at least try to run again. Immediately my anxiety sounded a little something like this, “Will I be able to run consecutively for more than five minutes? Have I lost all ability to run?” As I drove to the gym, I prayed, “Lord, give me the energy and stamina I need to run today. Help me to be thankful for a healthy body rather than grumble about doing something that may be difficult for me.”

Driving home an hour later I was filled with thanksgiving because God did give me the energy and ability I needed to run. But this afternoon I got to thinking. Have I prayed lately for spiritual energy? Have I asked God to revive the parts of my heart I haven’t used in awhile? It hit me that I haven’t. Why is it so easy to ask God for all sorts of requests that fulfill temporary problems, but when it comes to our spiritual lives we lose sight of His provision?

Today I read Luke 18:27 which says, “What is impossible with men is possible with God.” It got me thinking about my spiritual purpose and it brought back to mind hat any ounce of strength or stamina I have is from Him! What task does God have for me that without Him I would never be able to accomplish? What impossible thing might He have for me in the next day or week?

My response will be prayer. I am going to begin praying , “Lord, open up my eyes to the possibilities around me. Give me daily strength that only comes from you to be obedient and to hear your voice. Lord, I want to feel spiritually strong today, help me remember where my strength comes from. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment